Ethiopian Sunrise from the roof of the Hilton

Monday, December 3, 2007

Day 1: Sunday Morning 11/18/07--- Somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean

“When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him?” Psalm 8:3-5

Thanks so much to so many of you that have helped get us to this point in our adoption journey. People from my work, people helping Michelle at home, the baby shower…what an incredible encouragement.

Our time with Michael and Sandra Watson at their home outside Washington, D.C. was excellent on Saturday night. They were such an encouragement. We talked almost to 1am. But we didn’t have any problems waking up and getting to the airport today. The adrenaline and excitement about the trip was far more effective in waking us up to action than any morning beverage from Starbucks.

I heard a Focus on the Family program on adoption on Saturday afternoon after Michelle’s baby shower. The last part of the program featured some recorded messages by Crown Financial Ministries from callers who shared about how God had provided the money to adopt. I heard a really amazing story from one woman of how God had provided the money for them to adopt 3 children. The woman said they were leaving next month to pick up their children from Ethiopia! I told Michelle about the story on the drive down to Washington. This too was encouraging.

We met a couple at the gate of the airport this morning who are also on their way to adopt from Ethiopia. They are Christians and without even knowing if we were Christians, they began to boldly share their incredible journey of faith and God’s hand in their lives. The adoption journey was just the most recent chapter of their journey. It was amazing (I hope I don’t overuse this word) to see just the small pieces of their journey that God has revealed to them about what He is doing in, through and around their lives to glorify Himself. God directed them to take unbelievable steps of faith. If you think I’m weird about any aspect of my faith….you don’t know weird (I’m also known to be weird for other things). This couple is pycho! These guys are insane by the world’s standards for taking ‘crazy’ steps of faith based on what God told them to do.

While they were sharing God’s story in their lives, I kept thinking about the example that the Apostle Paul encouraged us to follow by being a fool for Christ. Paul was considered a fool because He heard God and obeyed…no matter what the cost…even at the risk of losing his life on many occasions. I had a hard time processing the kind of faith this couple had. I felt God was speaking to me while they were sharing. He was saying, “Do you trust Me?” The couple would tell another story and then I would hear God say, “Do you ‘really’ trust Me?”

These people heard God and followed Him with ‘reckless abandon.’ The funny thing about ‘reckless abandon’ is that it only looks like reckless abandon from our perspective or the world’s perspective. From God’s perspective, ‘reckless abandon’ is seen by Him as us loving Him. From God’s perspective, reckless abandon is seen as being in peace and perfect harmony with His plan. From God’s perspective, reckless abandon is seen as us trusting and obeying Him. Is God calling me to trust Him in far greater ways?

As I listened to this couple continue to share one part of their adoption story, it seemed all too familiar to me. I heard it somewhere before. Finally, I had to interrupt and then I finished the rest of their story. They were a ‘little’ surprised. You see, it was their story I heard on the radio program, Focus on the Family, just the day before. They didn’t even know that some of their story was picked up by Focus on the Family. She called her testimony into Crown Financial Ministries over a month ago. I just so happened to catch the last 10 minutes of the program that also contained her recorded message. God used this couple to also encourage us.

Did I mention that the subplot to the first movie on the plane was about adoption? It's too funny how God has surrounded Michelle and me with plots and subplots of adoption. But on a much grander scale isn't it exciting to see how God has subplots to His story in all of our lives. The main story is all about His Son. The subplot is about how the Gospel or ‘good news’ can save us and radically change my life and yours. God’s love for me and for you is more than we can ever begin to imagine.

As I close my reflections on our first day of travel, God’s earlier question still resonates in my heart… “Do you trust Me?” I hope you too will consider that question today as you continue in your journey with Christ.

...more than we can ever begin to imagine

Love,
Bill & Michelle

No comments: